Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Native trees in Sally Ormsby Park

This morning, I had a very pleasant walk through the Sally Ormsby Park watershed of Accotink Creek and inventoried and photographed the trees.  Below are the species that I found.  I am not 100% certain about the oaks (we have so many species of oaks in northern Virginia!), but did my best to identify them.  The other species,, I am very familiar with and many can identify by the bark alone.

Eastern Sycamore, Plantanus occidentalis
American Beech, Fagus grandifolia
Red Maple, Acer rubrum
River Birch, Betula nigra
Box Elder, Acer negundo
Tulip Tree, Liriodendron tulipifera
Sweet Gum, Liquidambar styraciflua
American Hornbeam, Carpinus caroliniana
Black Cherry, Prunus serotina
White Oak, Quercus alba
Northern Red Oak, Quercus rubra
Southern Red Oak, Quercus falcata
Black Oak, Quercus velutina


No comments:

Post a Comment